You’ve recently been in a car accident and now are considering aspects other than injuries and repairs – will my accident be forgiven? How long will the accident stay on my driving record? How will my car insurance be affected?

A car accident could stay on your record for 3-5 years in the state of Florida – if your car insurance company does not offer accident forgiveness or you have already used this benefit within a specified period. Your car insurance rates could be affected if an accident is listed on your driving record.

It All Depends

  • On How Severe The Accident Is

The accident’s severity also plays an integral role in how long you will struggle with an accident on your driving and insurance record. A more severe accident stays on the record for a longer span of time, while a less severe incident may not cause your rates to upsurge even though you were at fault.

  • If Your Car Insurance Company Offers Auto Accident Forgiveness

Fortunate are those whose insurance company offers accident forgiveness because you are not likely to pay higher premiums after an accident.

  • If You Were Determined To Be At Fault

If you were determined to be at fault for the accident and/or were issued a citation for the accident, then your rates will likely increase and may stay increased for longer. Some car insurance companies won’t change your rate if you were not at fault for the accident.

  • If Alcohol Was A Factor

In Florida, car accidents that result of driving under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or other substance that can impair your vision or response time will remain on your driving record for much longer than a regular fender bender. These types of accidents will remain on your driving record for 75 years and further increases your perceived risk as a driver and can cause your car insurance rates to skyrocket.

How To Remove The Car Accident From Your Insurance Record?

There is no way to officially remove a car accident from your driving record before the 3-5 years is up. There is, however, a way to lighten the blow against your rates: take a safe driver or a defensive driving course. Though, this excludes criminal moving violations such as a DUI.

By taking a driver education course, your car insurance company may reduce the hike in your rate, although the infraction will still show if you change car insurance carriers within 3 to 5 years of the accident.