Understanding Home Insurance Policy Coverages

There are many coverages in your homeowner’s insurance policy. You should be familiar with them and what they cover in case of a loss. Here is a description of some of them.

Property Insurance

Property coverage helps pay for damage caused by covered perils to your home, the contents of your home, and other belongings owned by you or family members who live with you. Sometimes, it helps pay for damage to other structures, such as tool sheds, detached garages, small boats, guest houses, and their contents. Your insurance agent or company can point out the items covered in a given policy.

Most policies provide special limits on some personal property, such as cash, antiques, firearms, jewelry, furs, and electronics. You may add additional coverage for these items as an endorsement or rider policy to your homeowner’s insurance policy for an additional premium.

Your homeowner’s insurance policy may also cover your dependent children’s belongings while they attend college, whether they live on or off-campus. Check with your home insurance agent or company representative concerning coverage for children living away from home. You may need a separate policy.

Additional Living Expense (ALE)

Homeowner’s policies provide Additional Living Expenses coverage that will pay some extra expenses if damage (caused by a covered peril) to your home prevents you from living there while it is being repaired. Most policies also provide this coverage when a civil authority (law enforcement agency, emergency management service, etc.) prohibits the use of a residence or access to a residence due to direct damage to neighboring homes by a covered peril.

The items typically covered—above and beyond normal expenses—include extra costs for food, housing, telephone, relocation and storage, utility installation, and furniture rental for a temporary residence. Be sure to check your home insurance policy to find out what is specifically covered or excluded. This home insurance coverage applies only to the additional amounts, over and above differences in expenses. For example, it would apply to the cost of restaurant meals minus “normal” food expenses. It does not cover your mortgage, groceries, utilities, or the monthly cost of a telephone in a rented space. These are not expenses considered “over and above” your normal expenses.

Your policy may designate a specified limit of coverage for additional living expenses, but your policy does not obligate your company to pay this amount up front or in full if you suffer a total or partial loss. For this reason, you must keep receipts for additional living expenses and submit these to your company for reimbursement. Policies generally offer ALE coverage with no deductible. It applies only to the residence in the event of a loss. ALE coverage does not apply to your dependent children while they are away at college, and flood insurance policies issued through the National Flood Insurance Program do not provide this coverage. If a flood is covered under your homeowner’s insurance policy or if you have a separate policy issued by the voluntary market, check your homeowner’s insurance policy or talk to your agent to determine coverage.

Personal Liability

This homeowner’s insurance coverage protects you against a claim or lawsuit resulting from (non-auto) bodily injury or property damage to others. For example, if a neighbor slips and falls in your house and sues you, and a jury finds you legally liable, this coverage would pay that claim plus legal fees up to the policy limits. This coverage applies to you and all family members who live with you. It does not cover intentional damage or harm caused by you or family members who live with you. Check your home insurance policy for exclusions and discuss them with your home insurance agent—such as exclusions pertaining to running an at-home business where someone is injured while visiting you for commercial reasons or is suing for liability pertaining to your business.

Medical Payments

This homeowner’s insurance coverage pays for medical expenses, up to the medical payment limits, of persons accidentally injured at your home, regardless of fault. It does not apply to your injuries or those of anyone living with you, or to activities involving an at-home business.

Speak With A Tampa-Brandon Home Insurance Agent

These are a few of the coverages provided on your homeowner's policy. If you have questions or would like a review of your policy, call our office and we can review what you currently have and offer recommendations.

Still Have

Contact Us
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
insurance agency owner salaryMagruder insurance agency
envelope-oclosearrow-rightchevron-uptwitter-squarephoneellipsis-vfacebook-official linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram